Sunday, March 3, 2013

Self-Introductions

I usually ask (undergraduate) students to introduce themselves in the style just below.  However, for working professionals who are also graduate students, we will change it a little. First, let's look at the Undergraduate Style (which can easily be changed to a businessman's style, once you understand it).
A Student's Self Introduction
Hi, my name is 정민성. My family name is Jeong, spell that J-E-O-N-G.
Please call me Minseong or Min. (or Minnie?)
I’m a second-year student of public administration at Keimyung University in Daegu (Korea).
I’m from Andong, but I live in the university dormitory now.
OR – I’m originally from Gyeongju, but I moved to Daegu 5 years ago.
OR – I live in Banwoldang, near the center of the city.
OR – I commute to school each day from Gumi.
OR – I take the school bus from my family home in Hwanggeum-dong.


So,
what do we find in the above?
  1. Explain the name (Koreans use family name first, and if you do it Western style, you might confuse people who think you are doing it Korean style!).
  2. Tell them how you would like to be addressed (named).
  3. Explain your (student/work) status.
  4. Tell them a little (a LITTLE) about you - in Korea that often means "hometown."
Please note that the American idea of hometown is not quite the same as the Korean idea -- Americans think hometown is "where I feel most comfortable." Probably the place I attended middle-school or high school.  Korean's often think hometown is "where I was born" or "my father's family place."

How might a working professional who is a student do a self-introduction?
Your "Professional" Self Introduction
Hi, my name is 정민성. My family name is Jeong, spell that J-E-O-N-G.
Please call me Mr. Jeong, or Jeong, or Minseong or Min.
I'm a public servant, at the Suseong District Government of Daegu, working in the the Manhon-dong Citizen's Service Center (as team leader).
I'm also a graduate student of public administration at Keimyung University in Daegu (Korea).
[If we have a name-card, you can cut out the spelling part!]

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Why do we do it like this?  (Korean's often do longer self-introductions)

Westerners like to learn by asking, creating "back-and-forth" conversations. This is called "turn-taking." One person usually talks for less than 15 seconds. Longer than that feels like a "speech" and is considered a little rude. And in fact, we usually don't even say more than one or two sentences at a time. So, for example, see my below.

Hi, my name is Robert Dickey. You can call me Professor Dickey or Dr. Dickey or Robert. Robert is fine!

(later someone will ask "What do you do?")

I'm a professor of public administration at Keimyung University in Daegu, South Korea.

(later someone will ask about my time in Korea)

I've been teaching in Korea since 1994. Before that, I was an immigration lawyer and manager in NGOs.

(later someone will ask where I'm from)

My father was a Navy man, so we moved around. San Diego is my home, although I lived in LA for university and I worked there, a total of about 10 years. I also lived in rural Florida for my elementary school days, so I can talk like Forrest Gump too!

etc., etc., etc.






No comments:

Post a Comment